Thursday, November 6, 2008

Fruit of our negligence!


Well those who know me, know I don't garden anymore.

I don't go outside much during beautiful weather.

Allergies.

They take my breath away.

I gave up gardening.

Each winter I have hopes of a vegetable garden, then the first week of beautiful weather and I begin to hide indoors and turn on the air conditioning. Tightening of the chest, swollen eyes, it is awful.

This last June, I was cleaning the kitchen and rediscovered five little plant in the ground pots with seeds in them that a dear friend had given me. One for each kiddo. I don't remember what everyone was doing. I can imagine the youngest napping. My middle M-lalala was bored and pouty and I asked her if she wanted to plant the seeds?

"SURE!" she said.

I directed her towards the back corner where the compost is and where dad does not mow. This area gets pretty neglected. And because the compost bin is back there, we often end up with wild pumpkins and cantelopes.

Last week, the kids were playing and someone happened back in that corner and discovered not one but 2 watermelon. Sweet M-lalala did the planting. God did the watering and keeping. The kids declared them "Yum". And there is hope from some that rotted out, we'll have wild watermelons next year.

No comments: