Thursday, December 3, 2009

It's good to be not the favorite!

Everyone has favorites. Favorite foods, favorite colors, favorite clothes, favorite people.
We all do. It is just a matter of life. But what happens when you find out you are not anyone's favorite.
I am not the favorite in my family. Should my children be forced to choose, which I would never put them on the spot to do so, not me, they would choose Big-O-Daddy-O. They would. He is their favorite. The older and much wiser ones, well they are quick to say, "I love you both very much." But deep down, I know. Before I go any further I want you to know, I know they love me. I know they need me. I am their mom, so somewhere deep inside them they can't help but want me around. They like clean laundry. They like food in the house. But their favorite, I am not. I admit every once in a while it bothers me. I mean, hey, doesn't everyone want a chance at being the favorite? The top of the list. The first pick.
But this week, I got a peek at the other side of being the favorite.
We had to take two cars to Flutter Nutter's Party.
I drove the big white tank. Dad drove his car with Fun Mom and Hockey Player in it.
While I drove, I had to very timely hit the brakes, as a strong suggestion to Daddy's Buddy in the back to quit wailing and hollering. Wailing and hollering? Why you ask? Because he was stuck in the tank with me. He only wanted to ride with Big-O-Daddy-O. "Tough kid, you got me, and if you aren't careful, you are going to walk," I thought. We arrived to pick up friends and there was a very quick seat swap before mom could say, "I love you."
Party is over, gotta take the friends home. Flutter Nutter is in pieces now. He wants to ride with Daddy. We do not move his carseat. We are tired of carseat installations around here, so the tank is his vehicle. Mom and Dad swap vehicles. Drop the friends off at home, we go to McDonald's. Every 4 yr. old's dream birthday dinner ;) Loading up to go home after we eat, everyone runs to get in the tank. "I want to ride with Big-O-Daddy-O," is being shouted by all of them.
Hmmm, Mom got a very nice and quiet ride home. She even got home first and had some quiet in the house before they all came tumbling in. Not so bad, not being the favorite. :)

1 comment:

A JoyFilled Life said...

It's probably not even in the same ball park, but you are my favorite sister ;) And I would ride with you, and we could go...hmm, where would 2 moms whose kids chose to ride with daddy, go?