Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Sometimes I wonder if we are related...

I have the nickname as Beach Momma,
We lived on the Gulf Coast for 3 1/2 months one winter. I loved it! I definitely dream of being a snowbird and flying south for the winter. So, how I happened to have a son that loves hockey, ice hockey no less, I don't have a clue. The greatest part is Hockey Player has passed his passion and love for the sport onto his 2 little brothers. Next year, Daddy's Buddy will be a hockey player and Flutter Nutter has asked me for ice skating lessons.
God just has a wonderful sense of humor.
We spent last weekend out of town for a tournament. I must say, I struggle to watch practices but I completely love watching the games. It was an eye opener for me this past weekend. I have heard about how fast Hockey Player can skate, but I got to see it for myself. He could get from one end to the other faster than I could have imagined and he did really well of staying ahead of the other team.
I, also, learned something about being a mom last weekend and I ate some humble pie. For as long as I have been able to watch the Olympics, I have really struggled with why some moms just can't watch their kiddos compete. I mean come-on, that is their kid out there. How could they not watch?!? I didn't even try to keep count on how many times I buried my head in Big-O-Daddy's-O shoulder and said, "Can I go back to the hotel? I can't watch." Then I would watch some more and repeat the process. Their first game, I did just fine. Their second game, my stomache got all twisted and flip-floppy. There would be mistakes and goofs. I knew they could play better, but for some reason they were off on their game. My heart just hurt for them. Playing with all your might and ability and losing, it happens. Not playing to your ability and losing concentration and focus and losing the game, that is really disappointing. Their last game, I just fell apart and kept asking to go to the hotel. It was a good game. A really good game and then somebody would blink and the other team would score and tie the game back up. I just wanted for them to win this game. But they kept this momma on the edge of her seat more than she could bear. They won, and it was a sweet victory. Now, I understand why there are moms out there, that just can't and don't watch their favorite player play. The heart just can't take the ups and downs and knuckle biting that happens some times.



1 comment:

HS Mom of 4 said...

This is part of what being a mom is all about. I've been thinking about your post all day and remembering my sports-with-kids journey.
I'm not even sure I had ever heard of soccer, let alone seen a game, before J & D started playing. Yet there I was for every practice and game, sometimes sitting there in the rain on a cold Sat. morning.
Then there was baseball. Lots of games usually in the hot days of summer. Lots of traveling. Two of those years with little ones to wrestle, entertain, keep out of the hot sun.
I got into basketball because of D. Never missed one of those games either. In fact, E went to his first bball game when he was 8 days old. Then the night D hurt his knee, all I could do was close my eyes and pray. I resisted the urge to run down to the floor and see how he was.
Now I've gotten into NFL football because of Jennifer. It's something she started following in college. It's just another interest to share with one of my children. Now the whole family is getting into it.
All of this from a girl who was never sports minded, actually hated PE classes in school. These are the things we do because we love our kids. You are one of those good mothers, Heather.