Monday, April 25, 2011

April Reflections, part 2...




So, I am thinking, I should know by now there will be at least 1 week of roller coasting every spring and fall. Something about the change of seasons and activity level of my children. I am never prepared for it.



So in my last post I discussed Daddy's Buddy adventure. I completely forgot to mention we were at the dr. office on Monday for Flutter Nutter. Simple sinus infection...nope, sinus infection with bronchitis developing and wheezing. Dr. decided breathing was an important thing for the kid so he put him on STEROIDS and ALBUTEROL breathing treatments. Sounds like the dr. doesn't like me. We are sent to the ENT the next day.


ENT says lots of fluid and diminished hearing. TuBeS will be needed. OK...I am OK, I can deal with this.


So I spend the afternoon making phone calls and setting up appointments for the oral surgeon and ear tube surgery. (Yes, oral surgeon. I have 2 girls who will get to have oral surgery this spring/summer.)


Normal Wednesday after stitches and phone calls on Tues. Relatively normal Thursday.


Friday evening.


"Flutter Nutter fell, he is crying!"


"Flutter Nutter fell, from the fort!"


I have to make sense of 3 children ages 9, 7, and 6 as they tell stories of what happened and try to coax a sobbing 5 year old to tell me what hurts and what happened. Apparently, only the 6 yr. old saw what happened, and only briefly as she went about playing. Flutter Nutter was too preoccuppied crying to be able to tell me much. I did manage to discover he could not hold a bowl with his left hand. His eyes appeared to be equal and reacting to light appropiately. From what I could piece together, he fell about 8 feet onto a 2x4. His face was scraped pretty good, a few scrapes on his neck and back. But his arm.... not so good.

Into the car. Hockey Player went with us. Needed someone to keep an eye on him in the back seat. Good thing.


All was fine. Immediate Care could see him. Then he fell asleep. FELL ASLEEP. Couldn't hold his head up as we tried to talk to him fall asleep. He did cry really hard for 30 minutes. There was a huge adrenaline rush, and exhaustion tends to follow after that. BUT, he did fall 8 feet and he did hit his head. So the dr. office sent us to the ER. Hockey Player sat with him and tried to keep him awake. About a mile from the ER he gets Flutter Nutter to play I SPY. Checked in, he's counting to 15 and remembers 2 months ago we were there in the ER and he got a popsicle. Does he get another one??? he wants to know. Concussion ruled out.


Xrays, more tears, a buckle fracture of the wrist.


I try to wipe his face clean and discover splinters sticking in his cheek. I ask for tweezers and get a doctor. I hold him down and dr. removes splinters. Arm gets splinted, we get sent home.

Friday night! As we leave, Flutter Nutter is being a bit dramatic. Even the doctor commented on his drama skills. I lovingly encouraged FN to try out the children's theatre. Wouldn't be wonderful if one day he was accepting an Oscar, and was able to thank his mother for the time we were in the ER and she encouraged him to pour that passion and emotion into theatre. He didn't think that was such a great idea.








Webinz manages to be a wonderful distraction. How I am able to respond so calmly? It is only by the Grace of God. My sense of humor, again, the Grace of God.




No comments: