Thursday, August 18, 2011

Home Economics Home School Style !

So my motto around here with my kids is "to be above reproach"
One of my goals with home schooling is that our kids are prepared for the world.  That may mean public school at some time in the future.  Who knows where God will lead us?  But I want to present a positive light on home education.  I don't want to do harm to the name of home education.  I, also, don't want to do harm to my children.  Should they end up in public school, I don't want for them to look at me and say, "Why didn't you push me?" 
Today, I told a young teen and mom who will be joining my sophomore daughter in English, "Be prepared, I am going to work you to death.  I triple the amount of work to compensate for my feelings of inadequacy."  To which the mom laughed and I am sure the teen, gulped and groaned. 
But along those same thoughts, Fun Mom is "taking" Home Ec. this year.  Why?  Well cause she wants to take cake decorating classes.  Well I figure that is not enough. I calculated how many hours she would spend in class, and in my kitchen prepping for the class.  Then I considered how many hours she would spend in a high school class room.  Not enough hours.  So what did I do....I compensated and created and amazing list of accomplishments for her to achieve this year in "Home Ec".  The bonus is I am going to get a huge break in the kitchen.  hee hee.  The amazing part is how well she will be prepared for life beyond our home. 
Here is her syllabus for the year.
HOME ECONOMICS 1

Take Basic Cake Decorating Class 1
Take Basic Cake Decorating Class 2
Take Basic Cake Decorating Class 3
Take a Cookie Decorating Class
Take a Cake Ball Decorating Class
Learn to prepare a Roast using a crockpot
Learn to prepare a Roast in the oven
Prepare and Cook a Whole Chicken
Learn to Use and Clean a Grill
Use a Grill
Use a Grill
Prepare and Bake Cinnamon Carmel Rolls from scratch
Prepare and Bake Bread Rolls from scratch
Learn to prepare a Meatloaf
Learn to bake an assortment of pies
Assist in preparing family meals and clean up
Assist in creating grocery lists and shopping for necessary ingredients

Home Economics 2
Sew a pillow
Learn basics of laundry
Plan a raised garden for the next year. Research it and price materials.
Start plants if needed for the above garden.
Balance a checkbook
Home Mechanics: breaker box, hot water heater, furnace, air conditioner, fireplace
Identify and use of basic tools, i.e. Phillips head screwdriver, wrench, etc.
Help stain the yard’s fence
Weather proofing a home
Assist in any other home repair and/or maintenance projects
How to use a lawn mower (1)
Mow the year a second time
How to use a weed-eater (1)
Weed eat a second time
Basic plumbing skills

Now guaranteed she is very skilled in the kitchen.  But I have decided to expand her skills in the kitchen and home.  Her dad is excited about teaching her how to use a lawn mower and weed eater.  Honestly, she is excited about this course work.  Geometry not so much, but the above list of things to do, she is alright with.
Not your typical Home Ec. class. 

2 comments:

Cav5Mom said...

Think I need to take the classes with Abby! She will be ready to be a home owner at the end of the year.

Beach Momma said...

But I am sooo not ready for her to be that grown up. Would like to keep her around a bit longer. :) She is very excited about this class!