Thursday, March 29, 2012

Good Bye to my 6 Square Foot Wireless Router.

So we have this mammoth desktop computer.  You know the kind, I know you do.  The ones before laptops!  Not only is there a big hard drive, but there is this huge monitor.  I am talking anciently huge.  It covers 2/3 of the counter's width.  Not one of those thin flat screens.  Too frugal here to upgrade between the desktop generation and the laptop generation.  The only use it has been getting is we plug the wireless router into it.  Really!!!  Six square feet of valuable counter space has been occupied by what you could call "our wireless router."  Ridiculous.  But it has been my "procrastination project" this month. 
Yep, it has taken a month to do the following. 
Back up all the files I want onto my external hard drive that is smaller than my wallet.  (Actually took me less than 1/2 hour.)
Convince hubby to wipe the hard drive. That took some reminding.   Then it took some, "How long is it going to take?"  Then he walked over to the beast and started the process.
It did its job while we worked on other things.
Finally, tonight I looked online at Goodwill Industries.
Hubby sent me an email a month or two before this project was started.  The email informed us that Goodwill accepts Computers, etc. 
Hence my motivation to start this project.
But hubby questioned my memory.  Since I had deleted the email, I need to get online and research. 
Less than 5 minutes later, I had searched and located our area's Goodwill websites and found my answer.
Not only that, I discovered this page.  It is a Value Guide for items being donated.  I knew there was something out there.  But I have always done a guestimate.  LOoking at the values, I think I have been under-valueing our belongings.  Good to know for the future. 
And tomorrow...I hope we make a trip to Goodwill. 
Then I can say, MISSION COMPLETED.

No comments: