Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Favorite Things....Whole Chickens

Thanks to my sister early on in my mothering years, I discovered whole chickens.
Can't say I started cooking them right away.
I think I waited till child number 3 was a year or two old.
Before that, well, I had all the time in the world.
I just didn't know it!
Why do I love whole chickens??
They are super versatile.
Put in the oven at 350 for a couple of hours.
Put in the crock pot all day.
Put in a pot and boil on top of the stove.
 
All are ways to cook and forget about for a time.
 
You can pick the/carve the meat and serve as part of your meal.
You can use for making enchiladas.
You can use for making soup.
The possibilities are endless.
Depending on the size of your family, you can get 2 to 3 (or more) meals out of one whole chicken.
You can even freeze it, just like you would turkey and use it later.
The great part is, you can start the cooking, leave it and go about your day.
Talk about multi-tasking.
I like these menu plan ideas.
 
We often have a meal with it.
The leftovers are made into a soup.
If I am industrious enough, I will use the juices/broth for the soup.
Just depends on my time and energy for the day. 
Now a days, I am lucky to have enough for soup later.
 
It is the most economical way to have chicken for dinner in my family!

No comments: