Friday, December 12, 2008

An A for effort?

It's late. The house if finally settling down. D was sick yet again tonight.
Mike will be home soon.
So my mind is wandering and I wonder, "Do I get an A for effort tonight?"
I took S to hockey tonight.
But before, I managed to wash all of his uniform but his jersey.
I had him disinfect his bionic man pads, cause that is the kind of mom I am.
He did afterall get sick while wearing the stuff.
All loaded up, and on the road early.
I hear, "7 minutes Mom."
He's my task minder....
"Son, you don't have to be on the ice till 15 after."
"I don't?"
I go through the schedule..."715 on this night, 600 on this night 615 on this night."
(look of disbelief on his face....mom actually knows the times without looking at the calendar tonight.)
Whew. Survived that one.
I ask if he can borrow a spare jersey and then I begin the horrible job of tearing tape off his stick. Cause the men didn't think to do it after the last practice when he threw up on his stick and everything else. (where's that eye rolling smiley when you need it). Of course the tape is on so tight, Dad always does it with his pocket knife. Good thing I have one on my key chain. All done.
In the meantime, I successfully call the Dad and tell him yes there is a game tonight.
So, watching the game. Chatting with another mom. Dear ol' dad comes along to say hi. S is on the ice.
I don't know the positions on the ice. I do know that my little guy plays defense and plays it well for being such a lightweight.
"He's playing offense!" says Dad. That is new. I am watching.
I start to get after him. (Of course he can't hear me, cause I am inside the warm area of the rink watching.) "What are you doing?" "S, get in there!"
Mike very gently informs me, "He's doing what he is suppose to be doing."
Oh.. "Well it looks like what he always does and he is playing offense, not defense."
Sweet other mom next to me says, "Best leave the coaching to Dad and the S."
So I wonder do I get an A for effort?

1 comment:

Cav5Mom said...

I give you an A++++ always! And I love your blog. Looks good!