Friday, December 12, 2008

I know he loves me.

I just had to follow up the last post with some insight to my firstborn son.
S was the baby I worried about. No expression most the time.
I worried the lights were on and no one was home with him. I don't worry so much about him now. He is the quiet one in the house for the most part. His brain is working though. He knows if he stays quiet enough he can slip away and get out of "family" clean sessions. Mom's 30 thing pick up sessions.
He is the one that says, "You know Mom, if you got up and made lunch, it would be ready for me when I was finished with this and then I could go play afterwards." Yeah, like that was going to happen. I was grading papers and helping his sister with school work.
He is also the one who travels with dad to hockey games. He gets on the phone with me..
"Having fun?"
"Yes."
"How was the game?"
"Good."
"Miss me?"
"No."
"Want to talk to Dad?"
Okay, he's a man of few words.
Well tonight Dad called him from work and got a taste of it.
He tried to ask him about the game. Got one word answers and then "want to talk to Mom?"
So it is not just me.
I learned something new about hockey gear. These little things you put on skate and they prevent rusting. Very cool. The very practical mom thinks these would be a good thing to get, they'll help keep the skates in good shape. "Want some?"
"I don't know?"
"You want to go to the pro shop?" I get a shoulder shrug!
At this point, another mom kicks in and says, "Hey S, when your mom asks if you want to go to the pro shop to buy something, you say sure! Take the opportunity while you can!"
Hello! Ring a ling a ling! Some interest in this now. On our way down the hall to the shop, I try to chat with him. One word answers, we get to the pro shop and I ask, "Are you going to talk to me now?"
"No."
I could only laugh.
I know he loves me though. Every night he makes sure he hugs me good night. He likes to treat me to Hershey Dark Chocolate Bars. The nut free candy bar I can eat without endangering little bro. He'll treat me to QT drinks as well. He splashes me when we are at the pool. And every once in a while he'll talk to me.

No comments: