Friday, July 3, 2009

Laundry and more Laundry and Laundry Soap !!

On my summer to-do list, attempt to make my own laundry soap.

Dear friend of mine has been doing so for months.
I wouldn't dare take it on during the school year. Afraid of what I might get myself into it.
It was a PIECE OF CAKE !!
A few bumps and spills along the way, but so easy.
A late night trip to Wal-mart to get supplies, and a desperate phone call to friend..did I mention LATE... But she was sweet and told me where everything was and described the boxes.

Not about to attempt this with all the children around, I tucked them into bed.
Dear husband is not too keen on me doing this.
He was willing to let me try it out as an experiment though.
He thinks I have enough to do. Which I do, but as I discovered this evening. I was able to putz around in the kitchen cleaning. Measure out stuff, talk to daughter all while the pot did its thing on the stove. Doesn't need a whole lot of babysitting. My kind of project.

So I spent roughly $10-12 on supplies. I don't know for sure, cause I picked up a TON of fruit for the family. I can't just buy 7 peaches or 7 apples. That is only one for each of us and then I would be back at the store. Sooo, I have to guesstimate.

I have been saving my detergent bottles since I decided I would try this. I filled up what would have been about 2 months of laundry bottles. I calculated what I spent for each bottle of detergent at the store and that was $25. I am already ahead of the game here. I have enough supplies for 2 more batches. I will only have to buy more Ivory soap ($1/3bars at Wal-mart) to continue making more soap with the remaining ingredients. Oh the savings.

The Fun Mom did some math in her head and was like WOW !! at the savings. She also got excited about the recycling part. That made me want to chuckle. She told me, "you're saving on oil too, cause you are reusing the bottles." What a smart, eco-cookie she is. I am just glad she didn't start calculating how I could spend the savings on more clothes for her, for me to wash.

It didn't take more than half an hour. Clean up took half an hour. That's cause I didn't pay close enough to the instructions. It says STIR in the remaining ingredients. Umm, I dumped.
It foamed. Foamed some more, and I just stood there and watched like a dummy.
Fun Mom was quick to say, "The stove's never been cleaner." She is such a comedian.

She got to clean the pots. Why me? Cause there is dirty dishes in the sink and you can use the soap on the pots to wash them. Hee hee, one more eco-friendly aspect of our adventure. The other reason, cause I had more laundry to do. Have I mentioned, I do a lot of laundry. Flutter Nutter and Daddy's Buddy change clothes 2-3 or more times a day. I find clothes everywhere.
At least 15 loads a week, that doesn't include bed linens. So I am looking forward to the savings on detergent.

Earlier in the year, after my stash of liquid fabric softner ran out, I began using a tip from my sister in law. I use Vinegar now as fabric softner. Works pretty well. A lot cheaper as well. Clothes don't smell like vinegar. Just fresh and clean. I do occassionally need to use a dryer sheet, but not at all like I used to.
Off I go to get another load out of the dryer!!

No comments: