Wednesday, March 3, 2010

One of those days....

I am in the midst of a Beth Moore Bible Study. Esther, It's Tough Being A Woman.

This past week there was a lesson that dealt with annoyances vs. agonies.
"Here's the trap, however: If we distance ourselves long enough from real needs, we replace them with those that aren't. Pretense becomes the new real and suddenly a delay in the delivery of our new couch becomes a terrible upset. We are wise to force ourselves to keep differentiating between simple inconveniences and authentic tribulations. The more detached and self-absorbed we become, the more we mistake annoyances for agonies. It happens to all of us. "

She goes on to write, "I often have to tell myself to get a grip and downsize how I've blown up a comparatively small problem."

Since I did this lesson, it has been a resounding echo in the back of my mind. I can reflect back on real true agonies in my life and how I have responded.

Then I start to think about the comfortable life I have and how far I am from having "real needs" in my life.

Then my children start being children. And let me tell you, the annoyances pile up. I mean the pile is huge. The annoyances are great and unending. A 4 year old that just won't stop disobeying and laughs when you discipline him. A 13 yr. old who is getting rather perturbed that her test has been interrupted and would like to finish. A 6 year old, who just has to have a particular green bag, in spite of the fact, the two bags are identical. An 8 and 10 year old, enjoying all the chaos because they can escape school work and mess around. The pressure in my chest and head is increasing. I feel like I am going to explode. I rename the pile from annoyances to agonies. I struggle to get through the moment wishing for a vacation or simply Calgon to take me away. I chase my brood through the routine of dinner and then to the car. All so I can enjoy some peace at church while they are at their activities. The pressure in my head and chest resides. I am laughing again.

And then...

My little "angels" sleep, and I remember the lesson again. I wonder when will I pause to recognize the pile for what it is. Minor annoyances that won't last and that I can quickly turn into teaching opportunities with the right attitude. Instead of blowing up and/or pushing through the muck till bedtime, I need to tell myself to get a grip and see the situations for what they are, small problems or better yet teaching opportunities, . Then, with a peace not my own, address each situation accordingly.

1 comment:

HS Mom of 4 said...

Let me know when you get that figured out. :D