Sunday, March 14, 2010

Blessed are the Feet....

To those who have prayed for us on this trip, thank you very much.
Hockey Player was Divinely Protected on Saturday afternoon.

I really like the verse from Romans 10:15
How beautiful are the feet of those that bring good news.

I love baby feet. I marvel over my children's feet how they grow and change. The difference in them now compared to when they were wee babies. I wrinkle my nose and try to not gag as they aren't quite so sweet smelling as they are getting older. But they are beautiful, for they carry my children to me and to others. Feet taking a beating. They can affect how a person feels overall. Tend need lots of protection and TLC.

A teammate unintentionally stepped on Hockey Player's bare foot.
Not a big deal unless of course the teammate is wearing sharp ice hockey skates.
A little to the left, a little to the right and our story would be different.
But as I started out with, Hockey Player's foor was Divinely protected by our Precious Lord.

FYI: I am not posting pics of the injury, was not a pic I could bring myself to take.

I can say this all calmly, but let me go back to the moment I heard.
Big O Daddy O: breathlessly asks, "Where are the bandaides? Hockey Player is cut. So and so stepped on it with his skate."
Me: I begin digging for bandaid. But my expressions is of alarm. A week and a half ago one of the team mates received 2 stitches for a gash to his leg. BODO tried to reassure me.
BODO: "It's not like cut to the bone or anything."
Me: I was undone. I had to go myself. BODO wasn't stopping this momma from seeing her boy.
BODO: following and saying, "It's not that big of a deal. Just a scrape really."
Me: I'll take care of it.
By the time I hit the rink doors, BODO was so far behind, I think he resigned himself to the fact this momma was going to take residence in the locker to take care of her boy's foot.

I got in there and there is a couple of bloody paper towels on the floor. He has another towel wadded up on his foot.
BODO was right, it wasn't too bad. There was no bone. It was more like a scrape, but more than a scrape. The blade shaved a chunk of skin off.

I then begin to do, what I know needs to be done. I send BODO to look for ointment. I clean it, hockey rink floors aren't the cleanest. Hockey players have to be really careful about staph infections. Skates and gloves can be really difficult to clean, dry out and disinfect.
BODO finds the ointment. We bandage him as best as we can till we can get to the hotel.

We clean it again and rebandage it again at the hotel. I didn't let him sleep with socks, to help it air out and form some sort of a scab. We start the process over in the morning. He was one tough cookie. He skated the first game as if there was nothing wrong with his foot. At one point, I saw BODO with him, which is very unusual. I knew something was wrong. The bandaid had slipped, or so he though. But only 3 minutes left in the game so it would have to wait.

Off the ice, another cleansing and it burned. Poor guy. But this time BODO carried him out of the rink to the lobby/concessions area to hang with the guys and left his foot air out. The "team medic" went and got him "new skin" but not before the next game started. So after all was done with the skating, more disinfectant and cleaning. And "new skin" painted on. HP, asks "how long is it going to sting?"
Poor guy.
Rides home with no sock or shoe.
His foot looks 10 times better. There is no redness and puffiness.
I can only give God the glory. Don't know how the blade missed more of the foot or the other toe, other than by Divine guidance. God's healing of his foot so quickly.

No comments: