Sunday, June 26, 2011

Feathers...they just get this momma in trouble

So just a little while ago, my oldest turned 15. What did she want for her birthday? A feather in her hair! What did I say in return, "Will you call it macaroni?" Fun Mom, didn't think I was too funny. Why do you want a feather? Cause some of my friends have them and they are cool. I couldn't help myself, "Cause birds of feather flock together?"



So in spite of the constant laughter on my part, I decided we could do this. The one liners, I must admit just kept coming. That first night, I laughed so much, that even dear hubby told me I had to get a grip and stop laughing. But it only got worse, cause.....


I was going to make it happen and fortunately for my sweet daughter, her cousin, my niece posted these instructions on how to adorn one's mane with feathers. We can do this ourselves, I told her. Of course, her cousin is one cool cousin and that was okay. We texted her in Colorado. We found the tools and devices. But feathers??? They were hard to find. Texted my niece...checked out the stores she recommended.


Guess what?? Fly fishing is not as big in Kansas as in some other places. But, we were referred to a fly fishing store. We went, the guy knew we were coming... I should have known something was up. He greeted me at the door and said, "don't have any." HUH???? Don't have any what??? "What you are looking for?" But I haven't asked for anything. "I know what you are here for." You do???? Someone from the day before tipped him off that I was coming. But I didn't understand, left my name and number and left. But the birthday is now days away. I had no idea feathers would be difficult to come by. So I call my Gander Mountain loving friend. Well actually, she loves the man in her life who loves Gander Mountain in Wisconsin and sent her an SOS text. I, also, send a similar SOS to my sis in Colorado Springs. I am, meanwhile, on the computer looking up fly fishing stores in Colorado. My friend is in Wisconsin talking to her husband asking for feathers and he is like what??? Have I mentioned how much everyone adores FUN MOM! ! So my sis finds them in Colorado and priority mails them to us and they arrive within hours of party time.


YEAH ! !


Fun Mom, meanwhile, is not very impressed. This is far more of an ordeal than she bargained for and she doesn't understand why the salon is out of the question. AND she is very frustrated, her mother starts laughing hysterically at the mere thought of a feather, bird or anything fowl. Why??? might you ask. Well, in the course of searching fly fishing shops in Colorado, I came across a few online articles about these feathers....


This led to a little research about where these feathers come from....


Supposedly fly fishermen are angry. They can't find the feathers they need for their hobby. Why?? because they are walking all over the world not on fishing hooks but on the heads of human race. And yet there is a tremendous irony to this little fact. Which sends me rolling on the floor in hysterics, much to Fun Mom's displeasure. You see these feathers come from roosters. In particular, rooster's behinds. They are tail feathers ! ! !! Roosters are the males of their species. Male birds are all pretty colors and fancy to attract their more duller in appearance female counterparts. Think on this a bit. What particular part of the human race are attracted to these feathers..... the females. They are wearing tale feathers on their heads. They aren't attracting the males of the human race. They are annoying them. This irony sends me over the top. However, when you are 15 or almost 15, these ironies are not appreciated, nor is the uncontrolled laughter of the mother.

Alas, I get myself under control. Voila, my daughters and the friends have feathers. One day, the neices will have feathers too.

Aren't they beautiful???


and now they can "go shake their tale feathers! "


No comments: