Sunday, June 26, 2011

What is a person to do????

I love Pepsi. I mean it. I love the fizz when a new bottle is first opened. The swfishh. The bubbles that tickle my nose. And I am a bit of snob about it. I don't like it from a can, it picks up a metallic taste. Quik Trip fountain over crushed ice, is really good. But I will settle for a bottle from a store poured over ice and if necessary straight from a chilled bottle.

Yep, I like my Pepsi. I have even kicked the habit twice in the past 6.5 years. My lastest devestating relapse was the result of my trip to Ireland. I tried having a Coke a few times over there. And I did okay. So when I got back, I thought I would try to have a Pepsi here and there. And I did have one here and there. One a day here, sometimes a second one a day there. Slowly I built up to routinely two a day. Just sneaked up on me. I wake up and the first thing I think is, I need a Pepsi to get me jump started.

big ** SIGH **

So I have been wanting to kick this thing again, but the timing hasn't been the greatest. All in my house agreed a Momma on steroids would not be good timing to kick the Pepsi habit. Already irritable, why add in a caffeine withdrawal headache on top of it. So the steroids are done, and I am as back to normal as I could possibly be. I drank my last Pepsi yesterday and decided today would be my first day to go without and start anew.

On the way to church, dear hubby knowing my love for Pepsi, like some like coffee in the morning, offered to stop. I told him it was my first day to go Pepsi-less. He kept driving. Sitting in church during announcements, our most awesome pastor asks the congregation to go buy and enjoy our favorite beverage in a 2-liter and donate the bottle to our sister inner city church. To which I looked at my husband and he laughs. He laughs. Then, again, in Sunday School, the same request is made. I am dragging at this point. I have not had my caffeine. I want to take a nap. My husband laughs.

He laughs us all the way home, but wait! He makes a detour. He stops at Quik Trip. What does he buy? Cherry Pepsi for the kids. Pepsi Max for himself. And drumroll, a Pepsi for me. Nothing like giving an addict more of what he is addicted to and expecting them to stop with just one glass. Honestly, I held out...all the way to 2:30. That bottle just sat there on the counter. I avoided the kitchen as much as I could. What can I say, I am doing my part to help the church. There is less than a 1/3 of the bottle left. I will finish it in the morning. Wash it out, take it to the church and quietly ask they not ask me for anymore 2 liters. Cause, then I will feel obliged to put off my withdrawal for yet another week.


3 comments:

Lori said...

This was waaayyy too funny! I saw that because I feel your pain! I'm just like that with Dr. Pepper!! I did so great with my habit kicking a few weeks ago. I didn't even have the usual no caffeine headache. Then, on the way to the waterpark, we stop at McDonald's. I wasn't around when my husband ordered. He ordered a Dr. Pepper. Thanks for the support, dear husband. Haha. Good luck with your Pepsi free life. I know it makes me more energetic when I'm Dr. Pepper free. (still not there yet)

Beach Momma said...

Unfortunately, I just finished the 2 liter...wide awake. Must find a way to fall asleep. I might be another week away from kicking this habit.

neta said...

HA HA! I so relate to this problem. Pepsi is also my downfall and I too have that "where is my Pepsi" thought when I first wake up. I just spent several days with nothing to eat or drink and am trying to avoid going back to it. But is still makes my mouth water just to think of it!