Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Birthdays

I am not big on my birthday.  My birthday date is a bit unique.  A bit controversial.  October 31.  AKA: Halloween.
I have experienced the gamot.
When I was little, my siblings shared their candy with me.  Consider the sugar possibilities !  ! ? ? ! !  Cake, ice cream, and candy! !   My birthday is shared with deer hunting season, so celebrations had to be scheduled around school and the hunter Dad's absence. 
Then as I got older, I heard things like, "Aren't you a witch!"  Excuse me, HELLO! !  It is just a date. 
That was in response to securing my driver's license number and expiration date for a check.
Then there was the look of horror on the faces of fellow Christians when they discovered I shared my birthday with the horrible holiday Halloween.  I even heard from one person that birthday costume parties were only acceptable for people without Halloween birthdays! 
Oh well.  So I tend to be reluctant to share my birth date.  Here I am announcing it to the world on my blog!
But as I have gained wisdom (i.e. not older), I don't dread it so much. I actually look forward to it.  My only request is I don't have to cook on my birthday.  A logical request considering the need to get children costumed up and answering the door to hand out candy.  I look forward to not cooking.  I look forward to greeting the little princesses, lady bugs, puppy dogs and other cutely dressed tots.  No, I don't look forward to the zombies and other blood encrusted children. 
But the smiles and sweet "tank ewes" I do enjoy. 
Occassionally, the familiar face of an adult I haven't seen in years is a delightful treat.  I really do love children.  I really do believe they are a gift from the Lord.
If I can bless them and love on them this way, then I will. 
And then, I will share in my children's sweets after they go to bed. Then I go shopping on Nov. 1 to get the clearanced candy, cause afterall, I like CANDY ! !

No comments: