Thursday, March 12, 2009

If only.....

I could spend a day as a little boy.
Just to have a better understanding of what goes on in that head of theirs.
I have thought that many times this week.
Maybe I could handle the "moments" just a little better.
In the car this morning he begged for a juice pouch.
I willingly gave him one with the instructions, "don't make a mess."
"okay, mommy."
Then I hear, "Are we going home? My pants are wet. I want to change."
Thinking here...I am driving....No underwear, he is in diaper...errr Mess with pouch.
"Nope, you spilled your pouch. Guess you are going to wear cold, wet clothes."
"I want to take them off."
"Nope, you weren't suppose to make a mess. You'll have to live with the consequences. "
It is 30 degrees. His coat, shirt and pants are wet. Bummer. Maybe he will learn this time.
Then in the dr.'s office (yes, yet another trip) D was getting into things yet again.
I looked at him most seriously and said,
"You know, there are plenty of fun things to do. You don't HAVE to make messes."
His reply, in all seriousness, "I don't ? ? ? ?"
Wow, new concept! He doesn't HAVE to make messes!
Is that what we needed to do all along? Tell him he doesn't HAVE to, that there are other things to do. Well tomorrow is Friday the 13th. Will I get my wish to be a little boy for a day? Better yet, a wish come true....a day with no messes.

No comments: