Thursday, January 14, 2010

Almost half way!

There are some things I just have to drive myself nuts over. I sit down and calculate them out. Like milestone birthdays, who will be what age in what year when so and so is this age. Crazy.

This time around it is the Awana Grand Prix that is coming up in 2 weeks. My kids love the Awana Grand Prix. It is fun, but after my first year I was done and looked at my husband and informed him, "Next year, you are doing the Grand Prix."

This is our sixth year with the Awana Grand Prix. You have to be in TNT to participate. Which means this event is only for 3rd to 6th graders. Fun Mom, had her time in the limelight. The first 4 years it was all about her and her car!

Last year Hockey Player raced solo.

This year it is Hockey Player and Little Princess.

So I sat down and figured out how many years we will have the privelege to participate in the Grand Prix.

14

Yep, 14 years. This is year 6.
Dad gets to make 17 cars between now and when Flutter Nutter makes his final lap on the Grand Prix race track.

This, of course, is assuming nothing changes in our participation with Awana and the opportunity to have a Grand Prix. Isn't Big-O-Daddy-O the luckiest dad ever? 17 more race cars in 9 Grand Prix races. (Still gotta include this one, it isn't over yet.

But back to the first 4 years when it was all about Fun Mom and giving her the opportunity to do something fun. Since this is our 6th race, it is easy to do the math and realize, not all my crew were here on this earth at that time. Six years ago I had a 1 yr. old, a 3 yr. old, and a 5 yr. old + my racer. I remember calling my brother in law to come watch a couple of kiddos cause there was a diaper blow out beyond belief and I didn't have enough of everything to survive. Not to mention, I didn't know anyone very well, I packed up the 2 littlest and went home for supplies.

The next year, a newborn, 2, 4, and 6 year old were in tow. But I couldn't disappoint Fun Mom could I?

The 3rd year, a 1, 3, 5, and 7 year old in tow. I lost my sanity. The kids were excited. How could I not be?

The 4th year, a 2, 4, 6, and 8 year old. The excitement could not be contained. Hockey Player was picturing himself the next year. Flutter Nutter pictured himself demolishing the track and playing cars. I pictured myself in a straight jacket.

Last year wasn't too bad. A 3, 5, 7, 9 and 13 yr. old. Since, Fun Mom was not racing, she was unanimously chosen by the Mom to help distract and contain kiddos. I finally got to watch a few exciting key races instead of spending those few seconds in the bathroom with an insistent child who could not wait.

For whatever the reason, Big-O-Daddy-O has never been available for Grand Prix night. I have restrained children in strollers and slings. I have walked halls with the tots. Tried to convince little ones they don't need to go potty just as sissy's car is getting ready to race! Fallen into bed exhausted knowing Fun Mom had a wonderful time and the others enjoyed themselves at their mother's expense. Every year, I look at the Big-O-Daddy-O and tell him, "You are going next year." This year, I will have a 4, almost 6, 8, 10 and 14 year old. I see the light at the end of the tunnel. This year Flutter Nutter and Daddy's Buddy will have a choice. They can go and hang out at the races or stay home with Fun Mom! Fair trade, I think. After all the corraling and hair pulling, so Fun Mom could have the fun that makes her the Fun Mom, I might actually get to be one of those moms who sit, hang out and just relax and enjoy the fun of the night. I might even get a few minutes of adult conversation with another parent.

9 More races to go. They will end all to fast.
And it was kind of cool reflecting back on the last 6 years.
Honestly, the time has gone very quickly.
An encouragement to you moms still in the trenches with wee ones.
It doesn't last. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Have a sense of humor and try to focus on something wonderful and precious in the midst of the chaos.


1 comment:

A JoyFilled Life said...

Sis, you are a great encourager! Those days are LONG but the years are so quick. In no time each of us is thinking back, remembering. How sweet of God to give us those precious memories, when the moments might not have felt quite so precious.