Sunday, February 21, 2010

MidWest Championship in KC, this mom's scoop..

We went with hopes of bringing home the trophy. It wasn't to be. They ended the weekend this morning with afantastic win. Hard fought and very physical, but they stayed in it and didn't let anything get by them. These boys fought for each and every goal with all they had this weekend. It was some of the most physical games these guys have played to date. At times, it was hard to believe the refs did not make calls for roughing and checking on some players. Maybe they knew many of these players would move up to PeeWees next year, where checking would be allowed. Who knows? No injuries, that is a major relief. Hockey Player got in there and knocked a few players off their skates, all with in the rules of the game making this momma proud.
It sounds so odd to cheer for my boy to knock someone down. I will explain.
Hockey Player does not weigh 70 pounds, significantly less than 70 pounds. He plays defense. Defense! One of his teammates weighs 150 pounds and is 10 years old! He, also, plays defense. So a couple of months ago, I had a heart to heart with Hockey Player. I GENTLY told him if he couldn't start playing more aggressively, I would seriously consider not letting him play next year. His eyes just about popped out of his head. He has a better chance of staying on his feet if he is the one to initiate contact when playing. If he always backs down or lets the other team initiate he will be less able to stay standing and would just get plowed over and possibly injured. I preface all this with, all within the rules of the game. I don't want him to be a fighter. I want him to play smart, play safe and protect himself. So this weekend, I saw him fight for the puck, not with his fists, but within the rules of the game and knocked a couple of players onto their butt-pads! AND he protected his goalie. This morning, a player from the other team was hitting our goalie with his stick and Hockey Player took him out! Sent him to his rear, again all within the rules of the game. So proud of my brave "David". He doesn't let size intimidate him. Hockey is a God given passion for my guy. God has lifted all the barriers for him to play. As long as God keeps opening the doors I will encourage, drive and cheer him on. But I will still be his mom and want him safe, even if that means he has to knock someone else's player to the ice...all within the rules of the game.

Another highlight for this mom was game 2 on Sat. The team's 3rd goal of the team. Hockey Player ended up at the blue line. He stopped, took a breath and a look see. He saw who was open, sent the puck on its way, where it was passed one more time and then went home to the goal. It was a beautiful play. It took longer to type than it did for it to all play out. Our opponents were looking around and trying to catch up. It was beautiful. I so thoroughly enjoyed seeing that goal and Hockey Players participation in it. So often, I have missed his assists and goals, someone always need my attention at the very moment when he is playing. Drives me nuts. But, also, makes moments like these so much more special!

No comments: