Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Some of what I have been pondering lately.. Joy versus Calm

I am waiting for the day when all will be calm.
Waiting...
Waiting...
Then I get an afternoon, all is tranquil and quiet.  The kids are playing.  I hear sounds of laughter through the door.  Inside, quiet rumblings from the pursuit of various ventures.  Moments to reflect and ponder the goodness of God.  Some writing, getting things accomplished.  Ahhh, this is what it is like, a life of calm.
Kaboom, Crash, Wails and Tears.
It is over and I am waiting again.
There is a tree limb in my son's hands.  A limb long enough to be a pole vault.  Images flash through my mind of children flying through the air as a result of jumping with this "stick" in their hands while jumping.  REALLY??? I am thinking.  Calmly, I announce tonight is the not the night for accidental impaling, head concussions or other serious injuries.  I grab the tree and imagine myself with super human strength flinging it out of our universe.  Onto the other side of our fence will have to suffice.
I am still waiting.
Yet, if my life was calm and peaceful as I imagine it with no drama or antics of children, I would be lost with out all the laughter and joy that bubbles over from it all.  Without the scares and rescues from my dear Lord and Savior I would not have the treasured moments of reflecting on His intervention and faithfulness.  I am finding in my life much of my Joy from the Lord comes with the hard things in life.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like the hard.  Don't like it one bit.  But then again, I didn't enjoy childbirth.  I do enjoy the children and joy that has resulted.