Monday, November 17, 2008

Grilled Cheese and Technicalities

Tonight we had hockey yet again.
A late practice to be sure.
Dear husband is still in Georgia. Its quiet there. He says he is homesick. I wonder what it is like to be homesick. His kiddos are homesick. They miss their Big-O Daddy-O.

So Big Brother suits up and hits the ice. The younger 3 run and play with friends. N quiets down and joins the adults where mom is chatting and learning details of upcoming practice sessions. N really hits it off with Coach George. He is off duty tonight and watching the practice. Every once in a while I peek at N talking with Coach George. Coach is so very tender and patient and just listening and responding to all the chatter. My heart melts and thanks God for this tender man who is being so kind to my son. My son misses his daddy so, and the last two days have been really rough.
As big brother gets off the ice, I am filled in on the plans for the evening. N has invited Coach over for dinner after practice. Never mind we already ate and it is almost bed time. On the menu : Grilled Cheese, Cow's Milk (cause N doesn't drink Rice Milk anymore! He has outgrown his milk allergy), Chips. And for Dessert --- Lollipops! N has also taken care of the travel arrangements. He was careful to tell Coach we would wait for him and he could follow us home.

Done ! Decided !

N and Coach go down stairs to the locker rooms. N to get Big Brother, Coach to get his player to take home. Finally, I have all 5 heads counted and together. I begin to herd them to the truck. At which point N stops me. We can't leave. "Wait for the man."
"What man?"
"The one who's coming for dinner."
"Not tonight."
"Yes, he is going to follow us home."
You can't argue with N. He is hard headed, maybe more so than his Dad. :)
"Let's go find him." and I send the rest of the crew to get loaded up.
"He was with that girl!" he says. Fortunately, "that girl" overheard and pointed N in the right direction. Voila, there is Coach!
Coach asks us if everything is okay.
With Mom eyes that say, humor us and help ME! "We are waiting for you, so you can follow us home."
AHHHHHHH, the light and gleam in his eye as he realizes what is going on.
"Ah buddy, I need to take a rain check." (Nathan has no clue what rain check means....he is staring this guy down with tenderness, suprisingly.) I gotta get this guy into bed, he has school tomorrow. I gotta go to bed. Maybe another time." N is not buying it a bit. His eyes tell the story. He is convinced we will be followed home.
I quickly suggest we make a grilled cheese to bring the next practice. AHA! That's the trick. N quickly says, "we'll split it!"
Yes! You can split it! ! ! !
Hurrah ! We are in the car and on our way.
Getting dressed for bed. "Can't go to bed, he is coming for sandwiches." No, not tonight. Remember we are taking a sandwich to practice next time.

Finally, in bed. Big - O Daddy - O please come home soon. Scrambled Eggs and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches desperately need you.

1 comment:

Pam Martin said...

I am sure getting Mike home will be such a blessing but I am enjoying the updates. Most days they give me a fun chuckle in the midst of the craziness, and remind me we serve an awesome God who gives us the opportunity to raise up His warriors. Don't grow weary my friend.