Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Brain Damage

Been back in town less than 24 hours and things are getting interesting.
First Dad's Bud is in the bathroom after bedtime crying.  Dad checks on him and starts yelling for me. 
Completely not the normal way things go around here.  Normally, I catch the boys doing something and especially if it is in the bathroom, I holler for the Dad to come take care of HIS boys.
I hurry up the steps to find Dad's Bud's face a mess. 
Eyes swollen shut.  Hive like bumps all over it.  Crying.  First thing that comes to mind is all the bleach water in the bath tub.  Convinced Dad's Bud has been into the bleach water I strip him down and get him in the shower.  Spraying him in the face, he cries, "It burns! It burns!"  I holler for baking soda and dump it all over his head.  Hoping to neutralize anything that he has got on his skin.  In the event, it is an allergic reaction we give him benadryl.  I am still flushing his eyes out when The Dad leaves to pick up Fun Girl.  He is already half and hour late to pick her up. Doctor on call has been paged. 
I peek into Dad's Bud's eyes.  They are milky and really red.  His vision is blurry.  Since we don't know what he got into, she recommends the ER.  I have him over the tub, pouring water into his eyes.  Flushing them like crazy.  Dad pulls in and Dad's Bud hops into the car and off they go. 
Still relatively calm, I am sick to my stomache like nothing else.  Shooting up prayers that are all choppy and and a couple of words here and there.  Can't think clearly.  Dad calls to say it will be a while.  He doesn't know what I know and I insist he tells them we think he may have got bleach in his eyes.  Boom, they are seeing him. They flush his eyes and take a look.   They reassure him he is not in trouble.  We had been doing that as well.  But there were these great big pauses when he would answer us.  The kind of pauses that make you question a kid's sincerity.  He gets adamant he did not get into the bleach water.  Adamant enough that Dad believes him.  After the exam and questioning the docs believe he was having an allergic reaction to an unknown substance!
Relief. 
This morning, his vision was clear.  Clear enough to do school, much to his disappointment.  Eyes and face were returning to normal.  The Dad, thinks now, he must have got into the Cool Ranch Buffalo Wings Chips.  The ones with tobasco sauce and other spicy stuff.  Why can't they just like the normal plain chips like their momma.

If that wasn't bad enough.  Dad's Bud was finally tucked into bed.  I was finally unwound and getting sleepy and The Man wakes up.  Not only does he wake up, but he is crying.  But not the tear sobbing, wimpering crying.  Oh no. 
He is sobbing, and sobbing and hollering (and I quote), "I have brain damage!"  "Brain damage!" 
"BBBBBBrain Dammmmage!"
Brain damage? I promise, I never dropped THIS kid on his head.
Really.  As a preschooler I might have thought of it...but I have NEVER dropped The Man on his head.  So where does he get the idea to wake me up at night crying about Brain Damage to his Dad and me. 
The nerve.  Doesn't he know we just finished an ER shift and we are tired.
Brain Damage!
A headache.  He has a headache.  Sinus stuff.  Stuffed up, goopy nose.  But in his vocabulary, only Brain Damage works.

This Mom had to be up and out of the house early. Like 7:30 early.  Time change + traveling (which I have yet to get to)+2 exciting night time escapades with boys = One Brain Damaged tired mommy at 11:00am
Know what I did?
I took a nap. 
Not only did I take a nap with Dad's blessing.
I took a 4 hour nap.  Oh yeah.
Kids are in bed now.  Sleeping ever so good.  Guess what?  I am heading that way as well.

No comments: